THE MAJOR’S PHILLY ROLL
Date(s) - 08/22/2020
6:30 am - 5:00 pm
Philadelphia Cycling Epic = Beautiful roads, fellowship, fun, challenging
Register by June 1 for only $40
The Major’s Philly Roll showcases the Philadelphia region’s beautiful roads in a fully supported Philadelphia themed ride.
This ride celebrates cycling legend Major Taylor and the spirit of our city. Philadelphia’s spirit is one of freedom, inclusiveness, and diversity. This event highlights Philly’s wonderful, friendly cycling community.
This event is for riders of all levels, from “I just want to enjoy the day” to “I want to see what I’m made of”. This event will also give cyclists opportunities to learn about one of the world’s greatest cycling legends “the fastest man on earth”, Major Taylor.
The Century Challenge is the event’s signature route. This 100-mile route taunts riders with 8000 feet in climbing and includes the region’s most notorious climbs. Completing the Century Challenge route is a worthy goal for avid roadies and is something to be proud of! But if that is not enough for you, we will give Queen and King of the Mountain awards to the cyclists who have the cumulative best times on all 3 Challenge climbs*. The Challenge Climbs are Fancy Hill, Shed Road, and Firetower, OH MY!
While the other routes feature at least one Challenge climb their elevation is reasonable.
- Routes ranging between relaxed and fun 25-miler up to a 100-mile climbing challenge
- Full rest stops with some Philly favorites, fresh fruit, baked goods, and drinks.
- Marked Routes, GPX files, and cue sheets
- Post-ride celebration
- SAG Support and bike mechanics
- Finisher medals for all but special medals for those completing Century Challenge
- Century Challenge with Queen and King of the Mountain awards
*Register before August 1, 2020, and receive a commemorative 24oz Purist water bottle.
The rides will begin and end in the Valley Forge / Oaks area. Route options will vary from very challenging to relaxed. Most of the routes ride through French Creek.
The routes will have Marshals, SAG support and Rest Stops. The routes are still under development and subject to changes as we tweak the optimal paths. All century riders should be on the road by 7 AM and 75-milers by 8:30 AM.
All riders should complete their routes by 4:30 PM.
The feature route is the challenging 100-mile century with nearly 8000 feet in total elevation! Three notorious climbs mark this route, Fancy Hill, Shed Road, and Firetower. This is a worthy goal for any cyclist. The woman and man who perform the best on these climbs will earn QOM and KOM awards. All century riders should arrive early for check-in and leave promptly by 7 am.
This route features two of the challenge climbs, Fancy Hill and Shed Road. While it is not eligible for the mountain awards it is still challenging with nearly 4800 in elevation.
This ride features the Shed Road climb and 3000 feet in elevation. This is one of my favorite routes.
This relaxed ride is still in development.
Links to routes will be emailed to registrants prior to the ride. All riders must check-in prior to the event and wear wristbands throughout the event!
Register early and save big:
- Until May 31 – $40
- Beginning June 1 – $45
- Beginning July 1 – $50
- Beginning August 1 – $55
- August 22, Event Day Cash Registration – $65
For those traveling to Philadelphia for the event, we will post lodging and meal options soon.
Friday Welcome Dinner?
If we have enough interest from those traveling to the region, we will consider arranging a Friday dinner.
Sunday Cheesesteak Recovery Ride
We will also lead a self-supported easy recovery ride into Philadelphia on Sunday for a hoagie/cheesesteak lunch and tourist photo ops. While this is primarily directed to the folks traveling to Philadelphia for the event, all are welcome to join. Details to follow.
Keep checking this page for updates!
The Queen and King of the mountain awards are meant to be a fun and friendly competition. While there is no prize money attached, we are designing awards that will give you bragging rights. The riders earning the awards will have the best performance on three of the Philadelphia region’s toughest climbs, Fancy Hill, Shed Road, and Firetower! In addition, successful riders will need to safely complete the entire century route in a reasonable time (safety is the key). Additional requirements are listed below and subject to change.
To be eligible for the KOM and QOM prizes riders must:
- Agree to KOM/QOM terms and conditions
- The winners will have lowest cumulative time for the Strava segments for the 3 challenge climbs; however, the winners will also
- Ride the entire century
- Use a GPS bike computer compatible with Strava segments
- Use the GPS unit during the entire century
- Upload ride to Strava at least 30 minutes prior to the awards ceremony
- Where visible rider number and wrist band thorough out the ride
- Obey all traffic laws and safe rider standards
- These esteemed awards are for bragging rights and have no monetary value (so don’t bother trying to hack Strava to win)
- Our first priority is for your safety. This is meant to be a fun competition. Any behavior considered dangerous will disqualify you from the competition and may lead to expulsion from the ride at the sole discretion of ride marshall.