Social Distancing Ride Rules
(MANDATORY - Please Read!)
It is important to us that all of our members are healthy. Philly MTCC riders MUST follow these rules for group rides. If you feel others are not following the rules, please kindly notify them or notify the ride leader.
You will be asked to leave the group if you are irresponsible in observing these rules! Your Health Comes First!
1. Pre-register (contactless registration)
All riders MUST pre-register to join rides. Also, until further notice, all rides are Members Only.
Ride Registrations are at the bottom of the ride event pages. We feel this is an intuitive process but you can find detailed rider pre-registration instructions here.
2. Only come if you are healthy
- Do not come if you feel ill¹
- Do not come if you were knowingly exposed to an infectious disease in the past 14 days (for the sake of loved ones you should probably self-quarantine in any case).
3. Bring safety equipment
- Bring a mask.
- Bring hand sanitizer and/or disinfecting wipes.
- If you help others with flats and repairs, bring rubber gloves.
4. Safe Behavior
- Ride at least 12-feet away from other riders (at least another bike length). Put on a mask if you ride closer than 12-feet (e.g. while drafting).
- If you have to spit or blow your nose, move to the rear of the group first. As a courtesy, you should do it in any case.
- Wear the mask at stops if you are closer than 6-feet from another person (in stores, stop lights, during ride conversations, etc.).
- Separate by 6-feet and/or wear masks during photos.
- Wash your hands frequently with sanitizer or wipes (e.g. rest stops), and avoid touching your face.
- Avoid touching other riders and their equipment. Wear rubber gloves and or wash hands immediately if you do (e.g., helping with tire changes)
¹ Feeling ill includes but is not limited to: fever greater than 100 degrees, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, the new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea. If you later find out you were ill during the ride, please immediately notify the ride leader so we can anonymously notify other ride participants.
Standard Ride Rules
- Arrive 15 minutes early and be prepared to leave at the time started
- Make sure your bike is in proper working order before you arrive.
- Bring mandatory gear (See the list below)
- Wear an industry-standard helmet
- Earphones are NOT permitted
- Obey all traffic laws
- Acknowledge road hazards by pointing hazards out to the rider behind you or calling out the hazard
- DO NOT CALL CLEAR!
- Use hand signals to indicate stops and turns.
- Be predictable; be visible.
- Positively conduct yourself
- Observe proper cycling etiquette and be courteous to fellow cyclists and respectful of other vehicles
- If you ride ahead of the ride leader, you are on your own
- Notify the ride leader when leaving the group.
I acknowledge that group bicycling carries with it the inherent risk of serious injury, death, and property loss from causes which include, but are not limited to, terrain, public infrastructure, temperature, weather, the varying physical condition, abilities, and skills of participants, equipment, vehicular traffic, actions of other people including, but not limited to, other bicyclists, motor vehicle operators, and pedestrians, and lack of hydration. I hereby assume all of the risks of participating in bicycle rides and related events sponsored or made available by Philadelphia Major Taylor Cycling Club without regard to and notwithstanding any negligence or other fault that may occur on the part of Philadelphia Major Taylor Cycling Club, its officers, directors, agents, representatives, members, volunteers, and sponsors. I certify that I am physically and medically capable of participating in bicycling. I certify that I have the skill and ability to safely control and operate my bicycle on public roadways with vehicular traffic and in the presence of other bicycles. I assume full responsibility for my safety while participating in bicycling and related events sponsored by Philadelphia Major Taylor Cycling Club including, but not limited to, my medical and health status, wearing an approved bicycle helmet at all times, the mechanical and operational fitness of my bicycle, following all provisions of Pennsylvania and other State Motor Vehicle Codes applicable to bicycle operators and motor vehicles, and maintaining awareness of and responding safely to expected and unexpected vehicular traffic, road conditions and the presence of other bicycles on the road. In consideration of my membership in Philadelphia Major Taylor Cycling Club and permitting me to participate in group bicycle rides and related events, I hereby (A) Waive, Release and Discharge from any and all liability for my death, disability, personal injury, and property damage which may hereafter occur to me while participating in bicycle rides and related events, ALL of the following entities: Philadelphia Major Taylor Cycling Club; its officers, directors, agents, representatives, members, volunteers, sponsors and assigns; (B) Indemnify and Hold Harmless the entities or persons mentioned in this paragraph from any and all liabilities or claims made by other individuals or entities as a result of any of my actions during bicycle ride or related event. This Waiver and Release shall be construed broadly to provide a release and waiver to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.
I hereby grant the PMTCC permission to use my likeness in a photograph, video, or other digital media (“photo”) in any and all of its publications, including web-based publications, without payment or other consideration. I understand and agree that all photos will become the property of the PMTCC and will not be returned. I hereby irrevocably authorize the PMTCC to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish, or distribute these photos for any lawful purpose. In addition, I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, I waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of the photo. I hereby hold harmless, release, and forever discharge the PMTCC from all claims, demands, and causes of action which I, my heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on my behalf or on behalf of my estate have or may have by reason of this authorization.